Chapter 78: Flashpoint

So being unemployed, yesterday I watched Ashes to Ashes. By that I mean, I watched the entire third series. That is a good 8 hours of the day. Ashes to Ashes was, in the end, a fantastic series. I wasn't thrilled with the first series, but I'd love to give it another shot. It never really stepped out of the shadow of Life on Mars until the finale. When it felt like it not only became its own, but was a thrilling conclusion. I wonder if knowing what I know now, if the series would seem better. The second series was great from beginning to end, with a twist leaving me lost, confused and really wondering what Gene's world actually was. Most importantly, the series was its own. I rarely thought about Life on Mars, and what that show was all about while watching it.

Series 3, brings it all back though. Not only is this the same universe as Life on Mars, but the question of what happened to Sam Tyler is the central mystery. Little clues are present throughout the series, and then the show gives not only a clear resolution to our characters, but who and what the world and Gene are is revealed. It was satisfying, and I was not as disappointed as I was expecting to be, especially with a lack of return for Sam Tyler. His non-appearance makes sense. The finale was a strong conclusion not only to Ashes to Ashes, but to Life on Mars, which already had a satisfying ending, but this gave a stronger ending to not only Alex Drake's story, but to also to Gene Hunt.

I remember thinking part of the problem with Ashes to Ashes was that too much focus was on Gene, and not Alex. Life on Mars was about Sam. Gene was the fun character who we all loved, but the show was not ABOUT him. Ashes to Ashes seemed to focus on both Alex and Gene rather equally, Alex gets the main perspective, but we learned a lot more about gene in Ashes to Ashes, and the conclusion made that approach make a lot of sense.

All in all, I am pleased to see the series end on a high note. Glad that the universe is closed up with a nice and shiny package, while somehow managing to have a conclusion that leaves you thinking "ahh...and it all continues."

Other television that RULES right now is Season 3 of Breaking Bad. Its just as thrilling, gripping, scary, intense, funny, and all around awesome as the previous seasons. 2 more episodes, and I can't wait to see what happens...

Comments