Chapter 94: Invasion

I am not a cool guy. Looking around this blog (or simply glancing to your left and seeing my separate Trek and Who reviews) will prove this inconclusively. That said m latest adventure in movie watching seems to be Planet of the Apes. I have only seen the original and the 2001 remake. So in reading a review of the blu-ray collection of all the films, I decided I'd like to give them all a try. Especially considering how Apes is a franchise that create sci-fi/fantasy franchises in film...a subject I am quite familiar with.

So I requested all of them from the library. As can be expected the only one that is not ready for pick up is the very first, it seems to be checked out. So I'm trying to watch it online so I can jog m memory as to all that went on before jumping into the sequels. Sadly it isn't all loading fast enough and I can't seem to just watch the damn movie. So I am writing here. I have to say that so far the film is about 10 times better than I remembered it being. I really ought to re-watch other films regarded as classics I wasn't terribly impressed by when I was a teenager. Clearly my mind has matured to a level that really appreciates Planet of the Apes. I am glad I watched a documentary about Rod Serling when I was in a Twilight Zone mood, since his involvement in this picture has got me watching what is clearly a fantastic film.

Anyhow, I once spoke ill of 20th Century Fox for releasing some shitty blu-rays. I think they did at first, but they've really started to shell out some of the best out there now. I retract my previous comments towards them and redirect them to MGM...who really need to get there shit together in all aspects, not just blu-rays. By the way: Warner Bros, Disney, and now 20th Century Fox seem to be kicking major ass in the blu-ray release world, often restoring films to qualities unseen since original theatrical release (and sometimes they were originally released YEARS ago).

Boy, I don't know why I am so into this stuff.

Comments