Chapter 96: Irma La Douce

When I was 6 years old, my father was watching a movie. This happened on more than one occasion. There have been a few movies in which my vague recollections made it difficult to find the films as an adult. Some were easier to find than others. I found "Spaced Invaders", a cheesy little family film about some misfit aliens while working at Video Theatre...bought it for like a dollar. "Freaked" I stumbled upon in the screeners bin at the store as well...it was actually the two-disc edition, thrown in there for some odd reason. FREE.

But one film has been alluding me longer than any other, with only the vaguest of memory of the imagery to help in my search. 17 years I've tried to find it. I've googled the hell out of my vague descriptions, and asked friends and family alike. No one had even the slightest hint of what I was babbling about.

Doctor Who has once again saved my life. On the Gallifrey Base (a Doctor Who forum I frequent) I discovered a thread of people literally giving just as vague descriptions of films as I had...and getting answers. Tons of us have these movies that we can only remember a little, and we need someone to tell us because google has failed us. So I posted my description, and hoped for the best. I got a possible answer, I borrowed it from the library, I found it.

I gave a digital high five to the guy who suggested "Irma La Douce"...as while the film turned out to be a sort of average wacky comedy from the early 60s (with a story about French whores...totally inappropriate for 6 year old me)...I'm so pleased that my 17 year long effort to find this film is over.

Comments