Chapter 98: Asking the Girl

So as my long ass previous blog post made clear: I asked Megan to marry me. She said yes, which is pretty shocking considering that I've been sort of hounded for a year or so. But be clear, I didn't ask because I was hounded, I asked because I really thought about it, and it was what I wanted to do. So here is a little amendment to the previous tale, for her, because she wants the story written down.

Essentially I decided like a year or more ago that it wasn't just some inevitable thing in our relationship, but a definitive one with a date and time and plan. The plan, luckily, went off without a hitch. I decided that I would take her to the pavilion with the fireplace where we had long joked about my inability to kiss her, and have a fire going when we got there, and ask her in front of the fire. I bought the ring before Christmas even, and had to resort to getting her a lame Christmas gift (nothing says "I love you" like the gift of a Weezer CD). But I had the date, the time, the place...

THE PLACE...god what if its a nice day and some loser family decides to have a picnic then...SO I called up the Metro Parks and booked the pavilion for the afternoon.

It ended up snowing, so no family was going to get in our way, but at least I booked it and had fire wood for me and everything. My parents and I went and got the fire going, and they tended to the fire while I went to go pick her up, then sent them a text to high-tail it out of there when we got to the park. We walked the trail, it really was a pretty looking layer of snow all around, and we got to the pavilion, fire roaring, luckily still within the fireplace, and when we sat down, I told her how much I loved her and did the one-knee thing. And then she was in shock for a while.

It was nice, she is happy as hell and went dress shopping the very next day with her mother and my mother. Oh joy. A year and a half (or in that ballpark) of planning to go.

Comments