Chapter 3: The Wild Wood

So this was a successful weekend. I went home to glorious Akron for two reasons. Number one is obvious - Easter. Number two, I began my internship with the Video and TV department with the Akron Aeros. The internship was actually pretty fun. I'm gonna enjoy this summer, hard work, but enjoyable. I don't know how if I would've felt like driving home for Easter morning, especially since I had to work in Toledo at 7pm tonight, so I had to run at 4, had I not had the internship. It felt kinda cool to be behind the camera, even though it was freezing Friday night, but Saturday I was inside behind home plate.

I'm gonna take better care of myself in the summer. I'm gonna lift weights in our basement, ride a bike to places like Megan's or the library rather than drive (my brother Curt has already said I can have his bike), and I'm gonna drink more water than pop. This weekend helped me release how much I really need to...I'm out of shape, and being sore after carrying a tripod made me realize how SHITTY I've become. I'm positive though, I'm gonna be in shape by Fall.

Another thing this weekend did was reopen my ears. I listened to Pink Floyd's The Wall in its entirety for the first time in 5 years. It made me realize how good not only that album really goddamn is, but how great Floyd is. I then immediately went to another long forgotten album on my iPod, Dark Side of the Moon. Jesus, these guys really were killer! And here I was, skipping them, saying I "like but not love" their work now, claiming I grew out of it, and it was still good but just not my cup of tea anymore. Lies! Boulderdash! I have no listened to The Wall twice (its a two hour drive from Akron to Toledo) and other selected tracks I had. It brought me back to High School, the good times with Matt, not having any responsibilities...and I didn't get sad...I actually felt better about where I am now. I was for the first time listening to The Wall and its concepts. Not just hearing cool sounding music, but hearing the torment of isolation and bad communication, sex, drugs, and rock and roll...all that shit thats piled into two discs, and really feeling like I had rediscovered an old friend, and finally seen how cool he was all along.

I then listend to Syd Barret era stuff. The real psychedelic LSD pop music stuff. Also fantastic. I decided to get the rest of those two albums, and Barrett's pre complete meltdown solo albums. I can't wait to listen. I might even get the other Floyd albums for a listen.

I have been in dire need to redo my itunes, theres so much shit I don't want or need...I will never ever be in the mood to listen to AC/DC...again. I mean, it won't be hard to find the 5 songs I even like anyhow.

Doctor Who easter special - pretty good, certainly not the best episode I've seen, great monsters though! Two cool new alien species, hope to see them again someday. Some plot holes that didn't make sense (why would fly like creatures with no human ears have "ear piece telephones"? oh well doesn't ruin it for me, I never let it!).

I'm done, til next time LATER.

Comments