Chapter 7: The Piper at the Gates of Dawn

I was thinking, reflecting. I thought about Ringo Starr & His All-Starr Band.

In 1995, the Beatles Anthology came out on ABC. My dad, being who he is, recorded it. He doesn't watch VHS, DVD, or usually even DVR...but he likes to keep stuff, so he records it. This practice had a profound impact on my life. Because I've watched movies on tape since as far back as I can remember. In 95, I became a Beatles fan. The anthology was captivating to me. If part of the goal was to attract a young fanbase, it worked, because I bought all the CDs over the next 6 or 7 years. And Since then DVDs of the films. DVD of the anthology. The anthology book. Magazines with exclusive beatles articles. Posters. And very soon - a Remastered Box Set. Being that I was clearly obsessed, still 2 years after it aired, my mom and dad got me tickets to see Ringo and the All-Starrs perform at the Rubber Bowl. Thats a walk from my house! Ringo coulda walked to my house.

I remember vague things about the concert. I was only 10. Wait 9! I remember going to some kind of Air Show thing with my dad and possibly brothers before the show. They do these all the time at Akron Fulton, so it was nothing special. But I couldn't wait to see Ringo, cause...hell he IS A BEATLE.

One problem. It is raining. Not like sprinkling, it was pretty much pouring all day. I remember wearing one of my dad's standard garbage bag of a ponchos. I remember getting one of those charictatures done during the air show. I remember WATER. I don't think I've ever been wetter in my life! I remember walking into the Rubber Bowl, I think the first of only three times I've been there, there was a camera man at the door, and he was pointing it at me. I asked my dad why he was pointing it at me, and he said something along the lines of me being young at an old peoples concert (lets face it, Ringo and the All-Starrs was a group of old rockers clinging to the old days...even if Ringo is awesome). I think they also had little else to shoot as we were one of very few who still showed up due to the rain.

I remember getting a pizza there. It was wet within minutes. GROSS. Now, I was looking up band line ups to find out what year I actually went. 1997-8 seemed to be the general timeframe, because I KNOW Peter Frampton was an All-Starr. I remember very clearly my dad explaining to me just how the hell a GUITAR can TALK. Further research was easy. The Rubber Bowl has been replaced, so a recent Beacon Journal article from the music section was talking about famous past concerts:

May 31, 1997 - Veterans Memorial Jam concert featuring Ringo Starr, Aretha Franklin and Three Dog Night in monsoon weather.

Oh shit! That was it! It was Memorial Day Weekend! Air Show! It makes sense! Monsoon! I'm not the only one who remembers being WET.

Now Three Dog Night I expected was on the bill, I remembered hearing their name back then, and that they played Joy to the World, a title that caught my attention as it was NOT christmas...and it was not that song in the end. To this day, the only Three Dog Night song I really know.

Aretha Franklin. When I read it...I was like "What!?" Then it kinda came back to me. Aretha Franklin was there. Jesus christ! I've seen Ringo Starr, Peter Frampton, Three Dog Night, and Aretha? All in one fowl swoop.

I remember being pleased that he played both Yellow Submarine and Octupus's Garden. He also played Act Naturally and some other Beatle/Ringo tunes that I wouldn't come to know until I got those CDs later.

My dad and I were able to move closer to the stage because so little people came. It was still WET.

I'd like to take this oppurtunity to thank Ringo for performing in dreadful weather and allowing a young me to see a Beatle Live! Also, anytime you are in town, wanna hang out?

Comments