Chapter 9: Warfarers All

I remember in high school thinking I didn't like Led Zeppelin. The first time I heard "The Immigrant Song" I realized...I don't like "Stairway to Heaven". I haven't ever been into them. I loved The Who in High School, and recently rediscovered them, after my rediscovering of Pink Floyd. This prompted me to try and get in to Zeppelin. I downloaded Led Zeppelin IV. It was good, but then I got really into Floyd, The Who, and fell into another Beatlemania. Finally I'm listening to Led Zeppelin IV...

I downloaded other albums SOON after.

They were a kickin' band! Right now as I'm listening to them, and being me I read their history...I get a sense that they truly are for the 70s, what the Beatles were to the 60s. Both bands had mass commercial appeal, both lasted about a decade before calling it quits (though I get the sense that had John Bonham not died Zeppelin would've had a different story), both had a 4 piece line up that remained throughout, both made recording innovations.

Beatles are still better. BUT - I get Zeppelin now. I see why the appeal for them is so wide.

Comments