Chapter 102: The Nightmare Begins

There are moments in everyone's lives that define who you are. I'm sure some have more than others, but at the moment I am thinking of one moment that truly had an impact on who I am as a person.

When I was a kid, my favorite movie of all-time was Batman. The wonderful Tim Burton film from 1989...the film was just the best in my eyes. I still love it, and although Back to the Future has sort of taken its spot at the very tippy top...I can't help but hold Batman in a special place in my heart. So I watched the film all the time, probably more than once some days. It was quite often in the VCR. Now thats not to say I didn't watch other things...Edward Scissorhands, Beetlejuice, Ghostbusters, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Back to the Future Part II (we didn't even have the first one when I was little), as well the Star Trek movies, and the original Star Wars....but none of them could hold a candle to Batman.

One night we came home to find our house had been broken into. The only thing stolen...was the VCR...with Batman inside. I was heartbroken...I think I was terrified that I'd never be able to see the film Batman ever again. It is a safe bet I cried. But the moment that truly was defining: my dad probably fixed up a different VCR, and my mom went to the store and bought me a new Batman. All was right with the world.

I look back on this moment and I can't help but think that my decent outlook on life and the future is in no small part traced back to this moment in my life. I can be cynical, sure, but more often than not I just think "it is all gonna be okay."

...because Mom and Dad can always buy you a new Batman.

Comments