Chapter 69: From Manchester to Philly to D.C. to Akron

Holy Hell. After a rather decent flight from Manchester to Philadelphia, with only some rough turbulence while landing, we made to Philly to rush through customs, security, and then to our next terminal and gate, to find that our flight to Detroit had been canceled. We had to find new arrangements to get home. We found a flight to Detroit by way of Washington D.C. the next morning. So we had a night in Philly.

We didn't go out, no one was up for it, we were tired and dirty and our luggage was still checked, so we were gonna be stuck in these clothes for the next day. So we all ordered individual medium pizzas, scarfed them and hit the sac.

We had to awake early early, like 3am early, to make it back to the airport to once again go through security and then catch our flight to D.C. so we could get back home. The flight to D.C. was fast and easy, no problems at all. We get to our terminal...Detroit flight is delayed an hour. So now instead of one our in a terminal, we have 2 hours in a terminal. Time is going by slow, so I call home.

My mom wanted to wait until I made it back to my apartment that day, but she wasn't going to not tell me...my Grandma passed away. It had been a long two years in and out of hospitals and hospices and through surgeries and ventilators and stomach problems and breathing issues...it had finally taken its toll.

I'M IN AN AIRPORT IN WASHINGTON D.C.

I get off the phone and look around and realize I have no idea how to handle this at this moment. If I were home, in my apartment or bed with Megan, I don't think I would have felt like crying as much...but now I'm farther from home than I was the day before, with a delayed flight and this heavy news...all I want is Megan, and shes in BG...I'm unhappy.

So I go sit with the other students, not saying much. I'm just trying to take it in. I got a bit shaky, holding it all in. I decided to find Tammy to just get it out there. So I see shes across the way and I make it to her. I ask if we can talk in private for a moment, and I tell her that I just can't do class on Wednesday, explain why and she tells me not to worry. I was pretty shaky when I talked to her. I just remember feeling totally uneasy with myself at this point. I went and called Megan. I woke her up, but I just needed to hear her voice, I hadn't heard it since before I left for the flight to Manchester.

I make it back to the other students on the trip, they are kind of joking and having a better outlook on things...then Matt comes up and tells us the flight is delayed another hour. IF YOU ARE GOING TO CANCEL IT U.S. AIRWAYS JUST CANCEL IT. Suddenly it became 3 hours we were stuck in this terminal.

About 10 minutes later the flight was officially canceled. Two flights to Detroit in two days canceled, and Delta isn't canceling shit heading to Detroit. I'm getting frustrated, and I showed it a bit, I think I just sounded really really pissed off, and Nick told me not to get too upset, and I told him about my grandma. My frustration began to make a little more sense.

Tammy found me while they were still working out new flight arrangements. She told me there was a flight to Akron that night, and did I want to be on it. Without hesitation I told her yes. The only snag here is if I didn't want to go through leaving, finding my own way back in time and going through security for the thousandth time, I would have to stay in the terminal alone. The flights at 8p.m.

12 and a half hours in an Airport Terminal.

I officially HATE Reagan Washington National. To quote Tammy, "you see what happens when you name stuff after Reagan?" True. Then more good news, our baggage never even left Philly. So now when I get to Akron, I don't even have clothes to clean. I am gonna go three days in the same clothes I wore on a seven hour flight. I feel pretty gross at this point.

So I bide my time for several hours, while everyone else went off to see the monuments and whatnot. I really don't want to see an airport terminal for a long long time. to stave off boredom, I bout a sudoku book. I also called Megan and talked for a little while, called Curt for a bit, called mom a few times, but that was mostly just trying to make plans for certain things. I saw Tucker Carlson when everyone was still there, he was getting food at Five Guys. Senator Joe Lieberman was waiting for a plane to Palm Beach just like everyone else there. WEIRD. I gotta picture of Lieberman. There was also a moment where I swore I was seeing Larry David, but the closer I got the more he didn't look like him. But he had the same glasses frames and everything, I think he wanted to be mistaken for Larry David.

Eventually, the flight got delayed to 8:25, and I started feeling that uneasy again. But then it went back to being on time! Then went to 8:15. So after going a little nutty for several hours alone in a terminal, I finally got on my flight, which left on time after all.

Getting to Akron felt like relief. I am now one experience flier and traveler. I am glad to be home...but the circumstances could be better.

Goodbye Grandma.

Comments