Chapter 64: 24 Hours and Dublin

After falling asleep at like 8, I woke up at like 1 or so. I had trouble figure out how to work our shower, eventually we discovered that there was a switch to power it up outside the bathroom. Crazy. So after the shower I headed downstairs, the inn keepers are terribly nice, and packed us a sac breakfast. Orange juice box, banana, cereal bar, chips and cheesy crackers. We were a little late getting out because my roommate, Michael, took a little too long getting ready...as his 21st birthday was the evening before, and he made the most of it. It was then making the most of him, and he wasn't moving very fast.

We made it to the ferry just in time, after running like a group of crazy Americans to what we thought was the boat...only it was in fact the bus. We ran passed the bus driver, who probably thought we were idiots. I slept on the ferry, for most of the ride actually. It was a decent sleep that made me able to get through the rest of the day.

We arrived in Ireland, got our stamps on our passports and took a both into the city. Dublin is a pretty great city, but I probably wouldn't have minded spending less time there. It was great, but after a while I just didn't feel like walking or doing any of the touristy things. We all split up during the day, I was with Michael and Steve all day.

Early in the morning we met our first local Irishman...who had come up to the rest of the group, while I and others were slightly ahead. The group caught up to us, and the guy got real close to me, and I could smell the booze oozing out of his every orifice. The first thing he said to me was "I'm not gonna drown you", we were standing next to the Liffey River, and I immediately then felt like he was going to, and promptly moved from the bridge. Meg had spoken French to him, which I didn't realize, so my speaking English made him latch onto me, I stopped speaking and he began to sing some kind of derogatory song towards the French.

While wondering the city we discovered the horse and pony show. It was the craziest thing to stumble upon. All these men and women and children just hovering around like 60 or so horses. Maybe more. It felt like a lot of horses and ponies. It was crazy. Walking out of that I made a comment like "well that was a weird little diversion". A drunk Irishman (man the stereotypes aren't being crushed here) exclaimed "shut up ya yankee! Ya don't belong here!" We crossed the street.

All in all it was a good day, but a long tiring one. We saw some neat buildings, and took a tour of an old prison, which gave us a cool history lesson of the Republic of Ireland.

We ended our day have dinner and pint of beer in a restaurant called the Porterhouse with the rest of the students on this tour, who we happened to run into on the tour bus. Good meal, filling.

We all ventured to the bus station, and after having a decent laugh at our teacher not seeing us sitting in plain sight, we all filed on to the bus, and then on to the ferry. We headed back to Wales, to get a good nights sleep before the next day.

What a great trip.

Comments