Chapter 67: The Isle of Anglesey

Our second hotel was built because King George was making a visit. That was seriously its only purpose. Give the king a mansion for the night, don't have one? Build one. So they built this place for him, he stayed for however long and then left. Its purpose served, never needed again. So in the 60s or something they retrofitted it into a hotel. A hotel currently owned by Best Western, called the Bulkeley Hotel. Its pretty nice, but the only complaint a good number of us have is that it is absolutely FREEZING. Heaters in the rooms just don't work.

We woke up and headed off to "explore Anglesey" which is the name of the Island we are on. We saw an old old church, with an interesting cemetery. There were two gravestones back to back, one read that it was for a man who had died at see, leaving behind a wife and three children. The stone behind it was for a woman with the same last name, and her three children, having all perished along with the first man in some kind of boat accident. The only survivor from this whole thing was the husband to the woman. So in one boat accident he lost his wife, his children, and his brother. I found that to be a terribly interesting bit of unknown history.

Just outside the church there was a big dome, that almost looked like a silo, but was meant for holding doves. I have no idea for what purpose, I didn't read the whole sign, but I thought it looked interesting in its architecture.

We traveled little further and made it to a beach, with a lighthouse and a view of a small island on the Irish sea. It was spectacular. I really could have just sat on one of the big rocks there all day.

We continued on, and ventured to find something...we were in the car for a long time. After about an hour or something in the car, we asked a police officer where an info center was, and he told them and asked where specifically we were going, no one had an answer. This annoyed me as from what I could hear from the back of the car I thought they knew where we were headed and we were working towards something specific. It came to light that they were just looking for anything. I made some comment about how I thought we had a destination, and Tammy snapped back at me. The trip is winding down, we've been with each other for too long now, and everybody is in this van for too long. It was bound to have someone snap once. And it wasn't that big of a snap.

SO we eventually made it to these ruins of old huts, which were interesting, but I'm not the biggest fan of ruins. The view of the sea from atop the cliffs we were standing were fantastic though. Probably one of the best views of the trip. The sea, great cliffs, a lighthouse to the side, and Snowdonia off in the distance.

We made a group decision to just head back to our hotel. I relaxed in my room until dinner, and after a pretty good meal, I went to the bar with Michael, we got a beer and then headed up for bed.

Today we head to Manchester after seeing the castle here in Beaumaris, our last day in the UK. Tomorrow morning we get on a plane for home. I will probably recount today and tomorrows exploits when I am settled back in Toledo.

Comments