Chapter 53: A Desperate Venture

I began to podcast Fresh Air, another NPR show I've grown to love (thank you Public Radio) and they have sort of ended 2009 and began 2010 with a look back on 2009, best of lists and whatnot. I couldn't due albums or songs, as I am not to up on the new stuff music wise...I'm usually about 4 or 5 years behind...even the good stuff, and I know there is good stuff I'm not hearing, that isn't being played on the radio. Another problem is that if it were played on the radio, I'm too busy listening to NPR.

So anyhow, while I can't do music, I'd like to put up my own list of the best TV shows and Movies from 2009. Well..not so much Best Of lists, but more in line with what everyone else's lists actually are: my favorites of 09. The problem with Movies, however, is that even though I saw more than 10 in the theaters or otherwise, I can only name 7 films which I enjoyed thoroughly. Now I definitely would like to see some other films from the year, stuff which was in limited release that I had no chance of seeing, or stuff that I just haven't been able to get to yet, but here is a list of the 7 movies I thought deserve a mention from 2009.

My Top 7 Favorite Movies from 2009 Are:
7. District 9: A crazy sci-fi movie that may change its style every act, but didn't fail to entertain me. Definitely a film I'd like to see again.
6. Moon: This is the first time in years I've seen just a straight hard science fiction film, and it was pretty good. Love Sam Rockwell.
5. Star Trek: I had so many doubts about this film. I was one of the crowd saying how can some one other than the Shatman be Kirk? But While I think its majorly flawed, this was a damned entertaining film.
4. Up: Pixar has made some wonderful stuff in the last 15 years, but Up somehow manages to get near the top of the list.
3. Where the Wild Things Are: What a beautiful film. Based on a book we all read as children, this somehow manages to give the picture book a story, fill it with loads of emotions, create stunning and life like visuals, and make me want to own it on blu-ray so bad...
2. Fantastic Mr. Fox: Personally, this was the funnest movie of 2009. Wes Anderson is perfect for adapting Dahl. The animation looks superb, and the voice acting is some of the best voice acting I have ever heard in a movie.
1. Inglourious Bastards: no other movie was nearly as bad ass as Tarantino's effort this year. This has been rumored for YEARS as his next big feature, but then he does Kill Bill, and then Grindhouse...and you start wondering if this would ever happen. Then BAM...it is created with GUSTO. The film is fun, frightening, thrilling, and dramatic. The villain, played by Christoph Waltz, better win Best Supporting Actor.

My Top 10 Favorite TV Shows from 2009 Are:
10. 30 Rock: While the season isn't even over yet, and will return soon, this season has been pretty top notch so far.
9. Reno 911!: I wasn't expecting much, as there were some cast changes, but it was just as funny, if not more so, than previous seasons. I was impressed. One great sitcom/sketch show.
8. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia: Hilarious yet again, but it wasn't the best season they've produced. I can't say it was my favorite show of the year, though previous seasons may have easily won that award.
7. Ashes to Ashes: this British fantasy/cop drama won me over this year. The first season was sort of hit or miss, constantly living in the shadow of Life on Mars, which this was spun off of. The finale of that first series definitely left me impressed, and I was actually wanting more. This new series was more consistent, more entertaining, and overall better than the first series. Its Cliffhanger had me dying for the third series...which I didn't expect the third series to even be in the ropes.
6. Dexter: what a crazy season. The storyline took us in places I wasn't expecting, and the finale left me both upset, angry, confused, alarmed, and excited for more. Next season should be nothing short of interesting.
5. Battlestar Galactica: I only got into this series while the final season was airing...but I ended up catching up (sick and on spring break...what else was I going to do?) So I watched everything, gobbled it up, and eventually my health improved and I was caught up...and ready for the finale, which was the only thing left to air...So while I may have blurred the lines of some of the seasons, I definitely now this final season, and it was spectacular.
4. Doctor Who: My favorite series of all time didn't have a complete season this year, but it did have some specials, and while one was weak, the other three were brilliant. It was the perfect end to an era of the show, both the Tenth Doctor and showrunner Russel T. Davies left at the end of the year. It was a great ride.
3. Curb Your Enthusiasm: The Seinfeld Reunion, and all other storylines within where incredible. It was a hilarious season. And it was brilliant.
2. Torchwood: Children of Earth, the mini series that aired this summer in place of a complete season, turned out to be better than Doctor Who this year (its parent series), and it was one of the best pieces of television I have ever seen in my life...and I hated the first season and was lukewarm to the second. They pulled out all the stops and made the show suddenly one of the best on TV, lets hope the upcoming fourth series will keep up the good work.
1. Breaking Bad: Without a doubt this is the series that ruled the set this year. I raved about this show to everyone I knew. Its so dark, disturbing, smart, funny, dramatic, and bad ass all rolled into one Sciencey package. The acting is top notch and the writing is superb. I am thrilled that the next season is on its way.

So there you have it, my top 7 movies and top 10 bst TV shows of 2009.

Bad movies I never want to see again? Avatar and Terminator Salvation.

Comments